Art’s Way Manufacturing Co., Inc. is a leading manufacturer and marketer of specialized agricultural equipment. We are seeking a Human Resources Generalist to join our team at our Armstrong, Iowa location.
The Human Resources Generalist is responsible for performing HR-related duties on a professional level. This position carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: benefits administration, employee relations, oversight of payroll processing, performance management, onboarding, policy implementation, recruitment/employment, safety, worker’s compensation, and employment law compliance.
• Administers health and welfare plans company-wide, including enrollments and terminations. Benefit programs include: 401(k) Retirement Plan, medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, workers’ compensation, leave of absence, flexible spending (Section 125), etc. Processes required documents through payroll and insurance providers to ensure accurate record keeping and proper deductions.
• Performs work under general supervision with the ability to handle moderately complex issues and problems without assistance. Refers more complex issues to higher-level staff.
• Maintains human resource information system records and compiles reports from the database as needed.
• Ensures records are stored in accordance to required regulations.
• Oversees company payroll process completed by payroll clerk.
• Performs recruitment activities, including, but not limited to: screening candidates, reference checks, and pre-employment tests. Maintains records.
• Conducts new employee orientations to ensure employees gain an understanding of policies, procedures, safety, benefit plans, and enrollment provisions. Counsels employees (and potential employees/applicants) on plan provisions so that individuals can make informed benefit decisions.
• Manages the annual open enrollment periods for all locations. Arranges for distribution of materials from carriers, assists with communicating changes to employees and arranges for onsite representation by providers. Processes changes within deadlines.
• Reviews benefit billings for accuracy and advances for payment. Resolves discrepancies.
• Acts as liaison with various insurance carriers and fosters effective relationships with client representatives.
• Acts as a resource for compliance with benefit and HR policies and regulations. Keeps management advised of potential problem areas and recommends/implements solutions as appropriate.
• Writes, revises, edits and proofreads company policies & procedures and related
documents as needed.
• Strives to ensure employee understanding of company programs by regularly generating communication and counseling employees as situations arise. Resolves employee complaints, refers difficult or very complex complaints to superior as needed.
• Ensures injury reporting procedures are adhered to, including: reporting injuries to worker’s compensation carrier, post-accident drug testing, updating the OSHA log, etc., as applicable.
• Maintains Safety Data Sheets for the Armstrong facility.
• Represents the company for unemployment claims.
• Attendance and Dependability: The employee can be depended on to report to work at the scheduled time and is seldom absent from work. Employee can be depended upon to complete work in a timely, accurate, and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignments.
• Communication and Contact: The employee communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Company.
• Relationships with Others: The employee works effectively and relates well with others, including superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Company. The employee exhibits a professional manner in dealing with others and works, to maintain constructive working relationships.
• Prepares government reports related to EEO compliance or other HR functions.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities but does serve as a coach and mentor for other positions in the department. This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Little to no travel is expected for this position.
1. Bachelor’s degree in business, human resources, or equivalent combination of education.
2. Minimum of two years of experience as a Human Resources Generalist.
3. Minimum of two years of experience administering employee benefit plans in the health and welfare areas.
4. Must have computer skills and the ability to learn HRIS. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Products.
5. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
6. Superior verbal/written skills and presentation skills.
7. Good punctuation, spelling, grammar and attention to detail.
8. Strong interpersonal skills essential.
9. Familiarity with employment law, COBRA, FMLA and related state and federal regulations required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Art’s Way is proud to be an EEO employer.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.